Back Lane in Balcombe is a renovation and reinterpretation of a detached residential building in the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
With its pitching volumes, the cottage is a curious compound of two distinct halves. Identifiable through its materiality, one half is characterised by a stern-faced limestone construction from 1901 and the other adorned with brick and hung clay tiles from 1954. A new addition sits at the intersection between the two, and draws references on the idea of decoration and ornament from Charles Rennie McIntosh and the 19th Century Arts and Crafts movement. The building will be reorganised internally to function as a family home, and a new bay window will open the kitchen and dining area towards the rolling orchard and gardens beyond.